1963 Aston Martin DB4 Convertible Series V SS
Chassis no. DB4C/1170/R
1 of 14 Right Hand Drive Series V cars produced with SS engine
The Aston Martin DB4 was perhaps the finest compromise which the David Brown owned company ever achieved between exceptionally high-quality, exceptionally high-performance, exceptionally lavish finishing and yet properly contained overall size and weight; a great British product, benefiting from the styling input of Touring of Milan.
Classically proportioned and instantly recognisable from the moment of its introduction in 1958, the Touring-styled Aston Martin DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970. Moreover, it was the first Aston Martin to carry Carrozzeria Touring's 'Superleggera' bodywork, in which light alloy panels were fixed to a framework of light-gauge steel tubes welded to a platform chassis. Although styled by Touring, the DB4's gorgeous fastback coachwork was built under license at Newport Pagnell by Aston Martin, which employed some of the finest panel beaters in the industry. The result was a car whose sleek lines were described as 'unmistakably Italian and yet... equally unmistakably Aston Martin'.
The DB4 model range was developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The final (5th) Series manufactured between September 1962 and June 1963 was built on a 3½" longer wheelbase (allowing for increased leg room and a larger boot) and gained 15" wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel.
One of the most notable developments the factory introduced was the “ Special Series ” SS or (Vantage) engine that became available as a factory build option. The SS incorporated a 9.0:1 compression ratio, larger valves and triple SU HD8 carburettors, producing 266bhp at 5,750rpm, a gain of 26 horsepower over the standard unit.
Our car is one of only five right-hand drive Series 5 DB4 Convertibles produced with the Special Series SS engine, and thus is one of the rarest Aston Martin’s of all time. Supplied new on the 1st July 1963 by C Williams to John Marsh Esq of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
The previous owner held the DB4 Convertible as part of a private collection and SportsClassics are privileged to be given the opportunity to make this ultra-rare motorcar available for sale. All post sale services and recommissioning will be completed by UK leading Aston Martin marque specialists Pugsley & Lewis Ltd prior to handover.
Combining Aston Martin's traditional virtues of style and performance with the joys of open-air motoring, the DB4 Convertible Series V is one of the most sought after and highly prized motorcars available for sale today. With the exception of the Zagato, the DB4 Convertible is the rarest Aston Martin road car of the David Brown Grand Touring era.